banner

banner
'We have come to destroy you!'

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Gaming Table v2.0

So...

If you check back in some of my battle reports you'll probably see my first ever effort making a gaming table. The City Table v1.0 as I call it. It was my first ever effort and I made some rookie mistakes.

First off, it was overly complex and much sturdier than in needed to be. It was therefore very heavy. I also made the flat surface out of cardboard which warped and bent after the paint dried. It looked great but wasn't practical. So I bit the bullet and ripped the cover off, removed the unnecessary wooden support structure and started anew with a basic polystyrene base.

Mattias also known as Terradax popped over for a quick 1500 point game. Black Scorpions Vs Black Legion and Daemons! A great tense game. In short...Mattias pushed hard into my lines with Spawn, Marines and Bloodletters. At one point I was down to 7 men on the table.... My Storm Raven carrying my death company, Chaplain and a death company dread swooped in and saved the day, Strafing the blood letters. On turn 3 the death company and dreadnought disembarked munched through his marines and slew his Warlord!. Great game!

Here are the pics from the game showcasing the new table:

A smoother surface and this time with Roads!
 The picture below shows the new surface. I added depth so I can create craters, canals etc. On this 48 x 48 table I made some craters. My second 48x48 will feature a city canal and bridge, maybe some sewers too! The large crater on the top right corner of the picture will have water effects for a cinematic feel. My first layer of water effects turned white for some reason. I think it reacted with some metal junk bits I added. So I'll have to redo that bit.
The Storm Raven swoops in for a strafing run! I kept the cityfight theme. Added some craters and debris.




Aegis! Notice the Objective marker fits quite well

 I added roads this time because I feel roads add character to the landscape and make it feel more real. The smoother surface also meant my buildings didn't wobble any more. The old table was so uneven!
Below is just some of my terrain, which I'm quite proud off (Forgeworld weathering powders. I'm a huge fan!)
The Jolly Goblin Tavern, this once festive and joyful pub is now in ruins. The patrons have long since been sacrificed to the dark gods, flayed by Necrons or enslaved.
  Below, I added some greenery. Even in the grim dark future I'd like to think some cities still have parks etc. I also wanted an excuse to use some more water effects so I made a swampy fetid pool. Turned out great! I LOVE the reflections of the buildings in the water... It looks so real!
The abandoned Arbites Precinct looms in the distance

Not sure what I was trying to do here.
Anyway, Thanks for checking it out. Comments welcome!

3 comments:

  1. NICE BOARD! I'm impressed by how quick you got that sorted! Got this Bridge for you, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The terrain looks really good! Felt ashamed using unpainted figures on it. That will have to change for my revenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete